School and Camp Group Visits
Please note that registration is now closed for summer 2018 field trips.
As a field trip destination, Manatee Lagoon welcomes school and camp groups to help educate youth about manatees and Lake Worth Lagoon.
Our field trip options offer a look into the world of manatees and their local habitat, Lake Worth Lagoon. Depending on the program selected, our Manatee Masters will discuss manatee biology and ecology, share details about the lagoon’s estuarine habitat and suggest ways in which students can protect their local environment. They will also explain the special role that Florida Power & Light Company’s adjacent Riviera Beach Clean Energy Center plays in ensuring that manatees stay warm during the cooler winter months.
We offer grade-specific field trip programs aligned with Sunshine State Standards (K-12) and the following components may be included in your field trip depending on circumstance, weather and other factors.
Exhibit Gallery – our Manatee Masters will guide groups on a walking tour through our exhibit gallery, providing insight about “all things manatee” and the Lake Worth Lagoon ecosystem.
Classroom – a variety of fun, marine-focused educational presentations and interactive activities led by our Manatee Masters may be offered, depending on staffing and space availability.
Observation Deck – our observation deck is an ideal spot to view a variety of marine life that spend time in the warm-water outflows from Florida Power & Light Company’s adjacent Riviera Beach Next Generation Clean Energy Center. While this spot that provides up-close viewing of manatees that may frequent the area is especially popular during colder weather conditions, there is almost always something to see in the waters that surround the center. Our Manatee Masters will explain the relationship between the warm water and manatees and help identify any marine life visiting the area during the field trip.
Important field trip scheduling details:
- Available days/times – Tuesday through Friday at 10 a.m. from December through March and between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. from April through November.
- Duration – customizable between 45 and 90 minutes.
- Cost – Free, including parking.
- Group size – Maximum of 60 individuals, including students and chaperones. Please note: For large groups requesting to visit from December through March, please consider scheduling groups of 40 or less to tour on separate days, due to our high public visitation during these months.
- Chaperones – At least one teacher or chaperone per ten students is required.
- All school and camp group visits are by reservation only.
Picnic tables are available on the Manatee Lagoon grounds on a first-come basis. Please be aware that Manatee Lagoon is not able to store lunches during your visit.
Our gift store sells a wide variety of manatee and marine-themed items, ranging from temporary tattoos and stickers to t-shirts and artwork. Please notify our Manatee Masters if you would like your students to have time to shop.
Please contact us to obtain a field trip request form or if you have additional questions.