School and Camp Group Visits
As a field trip destination, Manatee Lagoon welcomes school and camp groups to help educate youth about manatees and Lake Worth Lagoon.
Our 90-minute program options offer a look into the world of manatees and their local habitat, Lake Worth Lagoon. Depending on the program selected, our Manatee Masters may touch on manatee biology and ecology, share details about the lagoon’s estuarine habitat and suggest ways in which students can protect their local environment. They will also explain the special role that Florida Power & Light Company’s adjacent Riviera Beach Clean Energy Center plays in ensuring that manatees stay warm during the cooler winter months.
Visiting groups will rotate through three stations which may include presentations or activities in our exhibit gallery, classroom and observation deck depending on program selected, weather and other factors.
Important information for all group visits
- All group visits are by reservation only.
- Group size – minimum of 10 and maximum of 57 students, plus up to 12 chaperones. Large groups will be split into smaller sub-groups to rotate through the stations.
- Chaperones – at least one teacher or chaperone per ten students is required. Please note that due to space limitations, not all chaperones may be able to attend one of the three stations in the program rotation.
- Picnicking – picnic tables are available on the Manatee Lagoon grounds on a first-come basis. Manatee Lagoon is not able to store lunches or coolers for visiting groups.
Please review the additional important details below that apply to school or camp group visits specifically and contact us to obtain the appropriate group visit request form or if you have additional questions.
School Group Visits (September – May) – Registration for group visits through March 22 is closed.
Our grade-specific programs, which are aligned with Sunshine State Standards (K-12), include:
Manatees and Me (K-1) – Little ones will learn about manatees by making comparisons to themselves and other animals, and by exploring some of the survival needs of these marine mammals through interactive activities.
Manatee Lagoon Observers (2-5) – Youngsters will explore the biology and ecology of manatees and Lake Worth Lagoon, making their own observations of these amazing creatures (if present) and the lagoon along the way.
Marine Food Web (3-5) – Upper elementary students will delve into marine food webs while learning about some of the adaptations and needs of local aquatic life ranging from small (e.g. plankton) to large (e.g. manatees).
Understanding Manatees, Inside and Out! (6-8) – Middle school students will explore the resources manatees rely on to survive and examine challenges these gentle giants face, including factors that threaten their survival.
Manatee Adaptations (6-8) – Middle school students will be introduced to the anatomy of manatees, learning how they are classified and how manatee anatomy compares to that of other mammals.
Properties of Seawater (9-12) – High school students will take a closer look at the environment in which manatees live by learning about and testing various properties of water.
Additional important information for school group visits:
- Available days/times – Tuesday through Friday, Sept. through Nov. (starting at 10 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.) Dec. through March (10 a.m. only) and April through May (10 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.)
- Cost – Free, including parking.
Summer Camp Group Visits (June – August) – Registration for summer 2019 visits opens on March 1.
Manatee Lagoon offers summer camps the opportunity to reserve a visit that will offer campers a fun and engaging introduction to “all things manatee” and the Lake Worth Lagoon ecosystem. The program will be tailored to various age levels and may include an exhibit gallery tour, observation deck viewing and marine-science focused activities. Please note that while most manatees are up north during the summer months, there is almost always something to see in the waters that surround our center.
Additional important information for camp group visits:
- Available days/times – Tuesday through Friday June 1 through August 20 starting at 10 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.
- Cost – $5 per camper; $50 minimum; chaperones are complimentary; free parking. Please note that Manatee Lagoon will be transitioning soon to a new website and booking platform. Once that occurs, all confirmed 2019 summer camp group visit reservations that have been made via completion of our form will be entered into the new system. At that time, a $50 deposit will be due. You will receive an email notification with the deposit payment due date as well as notification of the final balance payment, which will be due by the start of your scheduled program.
- Cancellation Policy: Groups who cancel 30 days or more prior to the scheduled visit will receive a full refund for the deposit. Any requests for cancellations within 30 days of the scheduled visit will not receive a refund for the deposit, however groups can request to reschedule for a different date and transfer the deposit to that reservation. The rescheduled date must be within the same summer and is based on Manatee Lagoon’s availability. If there are no available summer camp group visit sessions for the remainder of the summer, the group will not receive a refund. In the event that the scheduled visit is cancelled by Manatee Lagoon staff, a refund for the deposit will be issued within 7-10 business days.