Manatee Lagoon has teamed up with The Reef Institute to offer a free educational series for fifth grade classes! The Marine Science Series features ten weekly engaging lessons aligned with Next Generation Sunshine State Standards, providing the opportunity for students to take a deep dive into marine science and understand how living organisms, such as manatees and coral reefs, are connected. The lessons will be offered in a live, virtual format and led by educators from Manatee Lagoon or The Reef Institute. The goal of the program is to educate students about the importance of marine conservation and inspire the next generation to preserve and protect the environment for future generations.
Dates: This 10-week series starts the week of Oct. 5 and runs through Dec. 18. Lessons will be offered once a week during the timeslot selected during registration. Each lesson will be approximately 20 minutes long.
Audience: This program is designed for fifth grade students. Classes with a minimum of 10 to a maximum of 30 students may be registered for any timeslot. Groups of less than 10 or more than 30 students may register for the Tuesdays @ 1 p.m. timeslot which can accommodate multiple bookings and will be hosted on the WebEx Events platform (additional details on WebEx Events can be found below under "Additional Information").
Cost: The program is free with an option to make a donation to support The Reef Institute’s mission.
Registration: Space is limited. Advance registration is required to reserve a weekly timeslot for the 10-week live series. To participate in all ten live weekly lessons, registration must be completed by noon on Sept. 30. Late registration will be offered based on availability and will enable participation in the remaining lessons beginning the week after registration is completed*.
Topics: Below are the standards-based lessons that will be covered each week.
- Week 1 (Oct. 5 – 9): What is Marine Science?
- Week 2 (Oct. 12 – 16): What is a Hypothesis?
- Week 3 (Oct. 19 – 23): Crustaceans
- Week 4 (Oct. 26 – 30): Erosion
- Week 5 (Nov. 2 – 6): Tidal Pools and What Lives in Them
- Week 6 (Nov. 9 – 13): What is a Marine Ecosystem?
- Week 7 (Nov. 16 – 20): What is Coral?
- Week 8 (Nov. 30 – Dec. 4): How is it All Connected?
- Week 9 (Dec. 7 – Dec. 11): Virtual Field Trip to The Reef Institute or Manatee Lagoon
- Week 10 (Dec. 14 – 18): Virtual Field Trip to The Reef Institute or Manatee Lagoon
*Please note, the start date for late registrations may change depending on staffing availability. After registering online, late registrants will be contacted by the Manatee Lagoon team directly to confirm the date of their first live lesson.
- When signing up for the live virtual series, teachers will select the day of the week and timeslot for their weekly lessons. The lessons will be held on the same day and time each week. Please note, if any of the live lessons fall on a day where school is out of session, they cannot be rescheduled for an alternate day. Teachers will be provided with supplemental materials for that week in place of a live lesson.
- Live lessons can be presented on the Google Meet platform (up to 30 participants maximum) by sharing an invitation link for our educators to join (links will need to be provided at least one hour in advance to the Manatee Lagoon team), or on the WebEx Events platform hosted by the series partners, unless otherwise requested in the registration process. Our team will review platform requests outside of Google Meet or WebEx Events on a case by case basis and determine if we are able to accommodate. Registrations are subject to cancellation if we are unable to accommodate the alternative platform request.
- Teachers registering to participate via Google Meet are responsible for sending the link each week for the presenter to join at the scheduled time. The teacher must email the link to the designated email address listed in their registration confirmation/receipt at least one hour before the start of their weekly lesson. If the link is not received on time, the lesson may be missed and cannot be rescheduled. Please note, live lessons hosted on Google Meet will allow students to interact with our educators via web cam, chat and microphone as facilitated by their teacher.
- Teachers registering to participate via WebEx Events will be sent a link to join each weekly lesson by the Manatee Lagoon team by the Friday before each weekly lesson begins. We kindly ask that you check your school’s network policies to ensure you are able to access WebEx Events in advance of the first session. In the event a lesson is missed due to connectivity issues, teachers will be unable to reschedule. Please note, for live lessons hosted on WebEx Events, students will interact with our educators by asking questions only through a Q&A chat box. Student and teacher web cams and microphones will be set to off/mute.
- Although each live lesson is led by an educator from Manatee Lagoon or The Reef Institute, teachers must remain present throughout the duration of the live lesson to assist with monitoring questions for our educators.
Sign up a group with a minimum of 10 and maximum of 30 participants:
- Mondays @ 9 a.m. (Oct. 5 - Dec. 14): Unavailable
- Mondays @ 10 a.m. (Oct. 5 - Dec. 14): Unavailable
Tuesdays @ 9 a.m. (Oct. 6 – Dec. 15): Unavailable
- Tuesdays @ 10 a.m. (Oct. 6 – Dec. 15): Unavailable
Tuesdays @ 11 a.m. (Oct. 6 – Dec. 15): Register Here
Wednesdays @ 9 a.m. (Oct. 7 – Dec. 16): Unavailable
- Wednesdays @ 10 a.m. (Oct. 7 – Dec. 16): Unavailable
- Wednesdays @ 11 a.m. (Oct. 7 – Dec. 16): Unavailable
- Wednesdays @ 1 p.m. (Oct. 7 – Dec. 16): Unavailable
- Thursdays @ 9 a.m. (Oct. 8 – Dec. 17): Unavailable
Thursdays @ 10 a.m. (Oct. 8 – Dec. 17): Unavailable
- Thursdays @ 11 a.m. (Oct. 8 – Dec. 17): Unavailable
- Thursdays @ 1 p.m. (Oct. 8 – Dec. 17): Unavailable
Fridays @ 9 a.m. (Oct. 9 – Dec. 18): Unavailable
- Fridays @ 10 a.m. (Oct. 9 – Dec. 18): Unavailable
- Fridays @ 11 a.m. (Oct. 9 – Dec. 18): Unavailable
- Fridays @ 1 p.m. (Oct. 9 – Dec. 18): Unavailable
Sign up a group of any size to participate in our larger, shared session (available via WebEx Events platform):
Please note, registrations for this timeslot are pending that collective registrations meet our minimum criteria. If we do not meet our minimum criteria of presenting to at least 10 students collectively, this session may be canceled.
- Tuesdays @ 1 p.m. (Oct. 6 – Dec. 15): Register Here
Do you have a group of students larger than 30 and are unable to use WebEx Events as a platform? Please contact us by filling out this form to explore if we can accommodate your group. Please note that options may be limited.
Manatee Lagoon is exploring how we can expand virtual school group programs in the future. If you would like to be notified when additional offerings are available, please click here.
Cancellation Policy: Live lessons cannot be rescheduled. Supplemental materials for the week's lesson will be provided in the event that severe weather prevents our ability to host a live lesson, a scheduled lesson falls on a day when a school is out of session, connectivity issues occur or a Google Meet link (if that is the platform for the lesson) is not shared with the Manatee Lagoon team at least one hour before the start of the weekly session. Registrations are subject to cancellation if we are unable to accommodate alternative live streaming platform requests.